SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 19, 2017) – The Western New England University volleyball team rolled to a 3-0 (25-8, 25-16, 25-16) victory over Elms College in its home opener on Tuesday evening at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
• Senior outside hitters Alona Kornberg (Fair Lawn, N.J.) and Emmaline Chiodini (St. Louis, Mo.) recorded six kills and six digs each for the Golden Bears, while freshman middle blocker Abigail Bundy (Lebanon, Conn.) compiled a team-high eight kills on a .500 hitting percentage.
• Senior libero Brianna Roath (Jackson, N.J.) finished with nine digs and a career-high five service aces.
• Sophomore outside hitter Hannah Adams (Deerfield, Mass.) led Elms with six kills and 11 digs.
• Western New England raced out to a 9-2 lead in the opening set with the help of three kills from sophomore middle blocker Cassandra Holmes (Ellington, Conn.). The Golden Bears eventually extended their advantage to ten (14-4) on a kill by sophomore setter Caitlyn Sibiskie (Rockfall, Conn.) en route to a 17-point triumph.
• Leading 16-14 in the second set, Western New England began to pull away, opening up a 22-15 cushion following a kill by Bundy. The Golden Bears would go on to record a 25-16 win and a 2-0 lead in the match.
• Elms led 5-1 early in the third frame, but Western New England fought back and eventually regained the lead (11-10) on another Bundy kill. The Golden Bears never trailed after that point, pulling away late to complete the sweep.
• The Golden Bears have posted three consecutive three-set victories.
• Western New England hit .320 as a team, while the Blazers posted a .013 hitting percentage.
• Nine different Golden Bears recorded at least one kill in the match.
Western New England (6-6) will be right back in action tomorrow night, as the Golden Bears open up Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Eastern Nazarene. Elms (7-4) will compete at the MCLA Invitational on Saturday.
Source: (Western New England University Athletics)